My personal thoughts and reflections related to scripture, worship, prayer...



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Inexpressible, Glorious Joy

1 Peter 1:8 tells us:

Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy...

I used to confuse happiness and joy, thinking that they basically meant the same thing. Now, I attribute happiness as just a reaction to our circumstances. I am happy when my daughter brings home a good report card. I am happy when my cat jumps in my lap just to give me a hug. I am happy when my husband sends me a text message that simply says "I love you."

Joy, however, comes from a much deeper place hidden within. I believe that true joy can only come from a close walk with my Lord and Savior. It doesn't come from riches or good health or the blessings of life; it comes from an inner peace and knowledge that God sent His only Son, Jesus to become sin on my behalf. That the One who created the universe took painstaking measures to save me from my sinfulness. That He loved me enough to sacrifice His greatest treasure, the human form of His Son.

My prayer today is that I would draw close to Jesus, that I would give of myself totally and completely to Him and His will, and that He would fill me with His inexpressible, glorious joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment