My personal thoughts and reflections related to scripture, worship, prayer...



Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fixing Your Eyes

2 Corinthians 4:18 says:

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I am a maker of to-do lists. I have one everyday except Sunday. In fact, I have a weekly to-do list that I print out every Monday morning that tells me what I need to do on what days, and then I add to it things that are specific to that week. I look at this to-do list several times a day, and it gives me great pleasure to check something off the list. It may be something as simple as making the bed or it may be something more time consuming like taking care of the laundry. There may even be reminders for me to call someone or water the plants or pick up my daughter from school early on Mondays. And yes, I even have Bible study and prayer time listed. To-do lists help me to find some control and maybe even security in my life.

So why, even with everything completed on my to-do list, do I still sometimes lack a total sense of peace? Does the Bible say that we will find peace in our activities, accomplishments, or met goals? Of course not. It tells us that we will find peace in the Peacemaker, the giver of Peace, the Prince of Peace, and that could only mean Jesus Christ Himself!

As usual, this scripture reminds of me an an old hymn that I will include here. I pray that as I type the words and as you read the words, you willl allow the Giver of Peace to engulf you in His arms today.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus.
Look full in His wonderful face.
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment