My personal thoughts and reflections related to scripture, worship, prayer...



Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Humble Sprit

1 Peter 5:6 tells us:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

Yesterday, I was helping my daughter with her homework. I don't remember now what the question was (I've slept since then!), but it had something to do with how she could show acts of humility at home. "What is humility?" she asked. That wasn't an easy concept to explain to an 11-year-old. "Humility," I began, "is the act of being humble." "What's humble?" she expectantly asked. I struggled a little bit with it. It was easier to give examples than to explain it with only a definition. Fortunately, the Bible gives us a lot of examples of humility. (See John 13, Luke 7:36-50, and Luke 10:25-37).

My favorie depiction, however, comes to us in this verse:

Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. (Luke 9:23)

What an amazing picture of how we could live humbly, every day, in a way that would glorify Him! My prayer today is that I could lovingly set an example for my child by denying myself, taking up His cross, and following my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, every day, with a humble spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment