My personal thoughts and reflections related to scripture, worship, prayer...



Monday, August 2, 2010

The Secret to Contentment

Phil. 4:11-12

...For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

What an awesome example God provides us through Paul! Oh, to be content no matter what our circumstances may be! Paul discovered the secret to contentment. If we read on to Phil. 4:13, we find out what his secret was. He says:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

So, the secret to contentment? Christ Himself. Putting our faith and trust and hope in Him alone... not in our circumstances, not in our possessions, not in ourselves. It's easy to feel content in times of good health, when we have a nice home with nice furniture and possessions. It's easy when your marriage is going smoothly and when the kids are doing well in school. When there is a steady income coming in and bills are able to be paid on time.

But what about in difficult times? Are we still content with life then? Or do we waller in self-pity, disappointment, and bitterness? I admit that this is a big challenge for me. I tend to find myself always wanting more, and when more comes, I want even more. The truth is that contentment will not come via earthly things, people, or circumstances. True contentment comes from Christ alone.

Dear Lord, I cannot truthfully say at all times that I am content no matter the circumstances I find myself in. I pray that You will teach me to be content and to allow You to reign sovereign in my life. You know better than I do what I need to grow, so I ask that You nourish me with Your provisions, that I may be content in You who gives me strength. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment